Text and photography copyright 2011 by David W. Lockeretz, all rights reserved. Information and opinions provided are kept current to the best of the author’s ability. All readers hike at their own risk, and should be aware of the possible dangers of hiking, walking and other outdoor activities. The author does not take any responsibility for injuries sustained during hikes or walks on the routes described here. Check the informational links provided for up to date trail condition information.
Little Green Valley
- Location: Highway 18 between Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead. From I-210, take the Waterman Ave (highway 18) exit and head north for a total of 30 miles. The trailhead is on the north (left) side of the road, about five miles after the merge with highway 330 at Running Springs. Look for mile marker 37.24, near the Snow Summit ski area, and pull into the trailhead parking lot. A National Forest Service adventure pass ($5 per day or $30 for the year) is required to park here. Click here to purchase.
- Agency: San Bernardino National Forest/Arrowhead Ranger Station
- Distance: 2.5 miles
- Elevation gain 700 feet
- Suggested time: 1.5 hours
- Difficulty rating: PG
- Best season: April – November
- USGS topo map: Keller Peak
- Recommended guidebook: Afoot and Afield: Inland Empire
- More information: here
- Rating: 7
From the parking area, follow the signs for trail 2w10, across a stream, and follow it up to a dirt road. The trail continues a few yards to the right across the road, continuing through the pine forest and soon reaching another intersection. After this, the real climbing begins, as the trail begins switchbacking up the ridge. Stay left as an obscure branches off, and you’ll soon arrive at Little Green Valley. Keep in mind that this last stretch can sometimes be a little damp.
Finally you arrive at Little Green Valley, an attractive pasture that might remind San Jacinto veterans of Little Round Valley. There are several large logs where you can sit and enjoy the scenery before heading back down to the car.